A short drive north of Auckland city, Matakana is becoming an increasingly popular destination for visitors and locals. If you are a food connoisseur then Matakana is the place for you – home grown delicacies and award winning wine are a highlight of the area.
Venture to one of the many local wineries for a late afternoon wine tour, tasting some of Matakana’s finest chardonnays, pinot gris and classic varieties of red. Settle down to a gourmet dinner overlooking the beautiful scenery
Matakana is famous for its spectacular Saturday market so if you’re there for the weekend make sure you head along. Artisan cheeses, homemade spreads, organic foods, craft beer and olive oils are all in abundance. A great place to enjoy a lazy Saturday breakfast with a multitude of cuisines on offer.
Spend the rest of your days exploring the many beaches dotted along the Auckland coastline and if you’re the adventurous type then make sure you head along to Leigh or Tawharanui for their picturesque walks.
• Matakana Farmers Market on Saturdays
• Matakana Vintage Market on Sundays
• Matakana Cinema
• Outstanding beaches within a 5-10 minute drive
• Numerous golf courses, from local to international standard
• Tennis courts at Omaha
• Bush, beach and hill-range walking treks
• Surfing at the fabulous Pakiri and Tawharanui beaches
• A variety of family safe beaches
• Art galleries
• Fishing, including deep sea fishing
• Vineyard and wine tours, including the Matakana Coast Wine Trail
• Goat Island Marine Reserve: diving and glass bottom boats
• Excellent choice of quality cafes, restaurants and bars: Matakana Pub, The Vintry, Matakana Market Kitchen, Leigh Sawmill Café, Brick Bay Glasshouse, Black Dog Café, Ravish, Ransom Wines
• Famous Mail Boat cruises to Kawau Island and Mansion House
• Morris and James Pottery
• Horse riding at beautiful Pakiri Beach
• Matakana Collectables Trail
• Matakana night sky and quiet beauty of the rural surrounding